Poets' Corner Home Page . News and Recent Additions
- I DREAMED I had a plot of ground,
- Once when I chanced asleep to drop,
- And that a green hedge fenced it round,
- Cloudy with roses at the top.
- I saw a hundred mornings rise, --
- So far a little dream may reach, --
- And Spring with Summer in her eyes
- Making the chiefest charm of each.
- A thousand vines were climbing o'er
- The hedge, I thought, but as I tried
- To pull them down, for evermore
- The flowers dropt off the other side!
- Waking, I said, "These things are signs
- Sent to insruct us that 'tis ours
- Duly to keep and dress our vines, --
- Waiting in patience for the flowers.
- "And when the angel feared of all
- Across my hearth its shadow spread,
- The rose that climbed my garden wall
- Has bloomed the other side," I said.
- Alice Cary
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .
©2000 Poets' Corner Editorial Staff, All Rights Reserved Worldwide