Who Ever Loved, That Loved Not at First Sight?
from Hero and Leander
- It lies not in our power to love, or hate,
- For will in us is over-rulde by fate.
- When two are stript long ere the course begin,
- We wish that one should lose, the other win.
- And one especially doo we affect,
- Of two gold Ingots like in each respect,
- The reason no man knowes, let it suffise,
- What we behold is censur'd by our eyes.
- Where both deliberat, the love is slight,
- Who ever lov'd, that lov'd not at first sight?
- Christopher Marlowe