Poets' Corner Home Page . News and Recent Additions
- GOD! ask me not to record your wonders,
- I admit the stars and the suns
- And the countless worlds.
- But I have measured their distances
- And weighed them and discovered their substances.
- I have devised wings for the air,
- And keels for water,
- And horses of iron for the earth.
- I have lengthened the vision you gave me a million times,
- And the hearing you gave me a million times,
- I have leaped over space with speech,
- And taken fire for light out of the air.
- I have built great cities and bored through the hills,
- And bridged majestic waters.
- I have written the Iliad and Hamlet;
- And I have explored your mysteries,
- And searched for you without ceasing,
- And found you again after losing you
- In hours of wearinessó
- And I ask you:
- How would you like to create a sun
- And the next day have the worms
- Slipping in and out between your fingers?
- Edgar lee Masters
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .
©2000 Poets' Corner Editorial Staff, All Rights Reserved Worldwide