On the Birth of a Child
- LO -- to the battle-ground of Life,
- Child, you have come, like a conquering shout,
- Out of a struggle -- into strife;
- Out of a darkness -- into doubt.
- Girt with the fragile armor of Youth,
- Child, you must ride into endless wars,
- With the sword of protest, the buckler of truth,
- And a banner of love to sweep the stars. . . .
- About you the world's despair will surge;
- Into defeat you must plunge and grope --
- Be to the faltering, an urge;
- Be to the hopeless years, a hope!
- Be to the darkened world a flame;
- Be to its unconcern a blow --
- For out of its pain and tumult you came,
- And into its tumult and pain you go.
- Louis Untermeyer